Newbie issues following M8 tutorial

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
ecuador

Re: Newbie issues following M8 tutorial

Post by ecuador »

You could add some debugging output to that "unsupported" dialogue and have me run it to give you feedback.

And now for some more strangeness.
I tried moving the StarTools folder in case it changes something.
It was in /Users/dkechag/Downloads/StarTools/
and I moved it to /Volumes/scratch/StarTools/

And guess what. It saves, however regardless of the name I enter, it saves as "untitled.tiff". Even if I enter something like "test.jpeg" it saves as untitled.tiff (asking me to overwrite).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ecuador wrote:You could add some debugging output to that "unsupported" dialogue and have me run it to give you feedback.

And now for some more strangeness.
I tried moving the StarTools folder in case it changes something.
It was in /Users/dkechag/Downloads/StarTools/
and I moved it to /Volumes/scratch/StarTools/

And guess what. It saves, however regardless of the name I enter, it saves as "untitled.tiff". Even if I enter something like "test.jpeg" it saves as untitled.tiff (asking me to overwrite).
Oh man... Sounds like this thing is possessed :evil: You don't reckon it could have been a permissions issue?

No such problems on an old Mountain Lion install. Everything working perfectly. :(
I'm going to try something different (apple script based solution) for the next version. This may help with compatibility between versions of OSX.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
ecuador

Post by ecuador »

Tested on Yosemite and Mountain Lion. As I said, on Mountain Lion if StarTools is in my Downloads it cannot save at all. If it is elsewhere, or if I try on Yosemite it can only replace the original file, whatever you enter in the field. I thought it was saving at "untitled.tiff" but I had opened a file called that. So whatever I open, I try to select save as a differently named file on a different directory, but it overwrites (after asking me if I am sure). It is not a matter of permissions...
1.3 works fine, has the save dialogue changed? Maybe revert to that?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ecuador wrote:Tested on Yosemite and Mountain Lion. As I said, on Mountain Lion if StarTools is in my Downloads it cannot save at all. If it is elsewhere, or if I try on Yosemite it can only replace the original file, whatever you enter in the field. I thought it was saving at "untitled.tiff" but I had opened a file called that. So whatever I open, I try to select save as a differently named file on a different directory, but it overwrites (after asking me if I am sure). It is not a matter of permissions...
Got another report of Yosemite acting up.
1.3 works fine, has the save dialogue changed? Maybe revert to that?
1.3 and 1.4 are *vastly different* when it comes to MacOSX. 1.3 still uses the Carbon framework, which limits StarTools to a 32-bit executable. 1.4 has seen a complete rewrite of the multi-platform framework behind StarTools to uses Cocoa (allowing a 64-bit executable and addressing more than 3Gb of memory) , so the source code is definitely not interchangeable unfortunately. There were bound to be teething problems with such an ambitiuos rewrite, but that's why 1.4 still has the alpha designation. ;)

Hoping to release a fix in the next few days...
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Hoping to release a fix in the next few days...
Scratch that. New version now up. I rewrote the saving code. Do let me know how you go!
Ivo Jager
ecuador

Post by ecuador »

Yep. Works fine. Thanks!
I do see a smaller issue with OS X. If I open a zip/tiff with Photoshop and re-save it as an uncompressed tiff, then when I open it in StarTools it shows up as completely black in the preview. However, if I try to process it, e.g. bin, autodev etc it shows up normally. Should I upload an example for you to check out? Admittedly it is not much of a problem once you know it is not really black and you just go on processing it...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ecuador wrote:Yep. Works fine. Thanks!
Finally I'm geting somewhere! :twisted:
I do see a smaller issue with OS X. If I open a zip/tiff with Photoshop and re-save it as an uncompressed tiff, then when I open it in StarTools it shows up as completely black in the preview. However, if I try to process it, e.g. bin, autodev etc it shows up normally. Should I upload an example for you to check out? Admittedly it is not much of a problem once you know it is not really black and you just go on processing it...
Hmmm.... odd... if you could upload a sample file (something small will do) that would be great!
Ivo Jager