My dark nebula is too dark

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
decay

Re: My dark nebula is too dark

Post by decay »

Stefan B wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:12 pm Tilt is hit or miss for me. I guess it's the focuser. The OTA is really budget. Optics are fine but there are some parts that aren't really robust like the spider vane or the focuser. I tried to adjust for tilt via the focuser's screws and seemed to nail it for some images. But then you image a different part of the sky, the weight of camera, OAG etc drags in a slightly different direction and there it is again. So I live with that.
Thanks for mentioning this, Stefan. I always wondered why some of my images show tilt (like my recent Elephant's Trunk), but others do not. I always thought it's a problem with the mounting between the camera and the focuser, but I've never found anything obvious. But now I'm pretty sure, it's the focuser itself. There's a screw to adjust the pressure. Maybe it helps to tighten it after focusing?
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Carles,
Carles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:50 pm Maybe you can try it one day, perhaps with Alnitak for the Horsehead, and see if it makes any difference in bright stars. I surelly will hehe :D
Maybe there's a misunderstanding. I used LCG and Gain 100 on the Helping Hand, so the lowest possible Gain setting, taking advantage of full well. See my answer below:
Stefan B wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:12 pm For broadband I use LGC and for duo NB it's HGC.
I guess that's the same setting you are using.
Carles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:50 pm that's odd haha do you set up the gear each time or is the camera always in ? that might be it. Not sure if you use a clicklock or similar to center the optical train.
My camera is always in. I carry the mount together with OTA/image train already assembled. The image train is centered via clicklock.

Regards
Stefan
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Dietmar,
decay wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:31 am But now I'm pretty sure, it's the focuser itself. There's a screw to adjust the pressure. Maybe it helps to tighten it after focusing?
It doesn't :) Tried it. It only adjusts the amount of friction but doesn't make the alignment more robust. At least in my experience.

Regards
Stefan